IP/Network Printers

Aug 18, 2012 at 6:26 AM

hi, i just want to know if the 2.0.7.0 release will work with  IP/Network Printers? i don't own an IP Printer so i haven't tried it yet. although i have tried it with a regular/non-ip printer which is shared in the local network and it seems that it is not able to receive printjob events when installed on a remote pc. It only works on the pc where the printer is installed.. Hope someone would help me. 

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:38 PM

No it doesn't work at this point. I have posted a related question here and still awaiting help.

Aug 21, 2012 at 7:10 AM
Edited Aug 21, 2012 at 7:17 AM

thank you for your reply mptl. i just want to clarify if you have used it with an IP printer and are you using the latest stable version which is 2.0.7.0? i think the error "Handle is Invalid" has already been fixed with the 2.0.7.0 release but still it won't receive events or cannot control the printer from a remote pc.

According to this discussion http://printqueuewatch.codeplex.com/discussions/219620 , PrintQueueWatch can handle and receive events of print jobs on IP Printers but only if the print jobs comes from the pc where your program is installed.

To those have tested it with IP Printers, please reply to this discussion. I really need help. Thank you very much.  

Jul 24, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Here is what I did to monitor printed documents on all printers, including local and network/IP printers that have been installed on the local computer:

Imports PrinterQueueWatch

Public Class Form1
private withevents pmon as new printermonitorcomponent

Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
For Each p As String In System.Drawing.Printing.PrinterSettings.InstalledPrinters
        pmon.AddPrinter(p)
    Next
end sub

Private Sub pmon_JobAdded(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As PrintJobEventArgs) Handles pmon.JobAdded
    msgbox(Now & " - " & e.PrintJob.Document.ToString & " was printed.")
End Sub
End Class

Hope this helps.
Coordinator
Jul 24, 2013 at 10:33 PM
I think that if you want to monitor an IP printer you have to be either (a) on the print server [if one is set up] or (b) on the machine issuing the print job. I don't think the IP printer broadcasts messages to all across the whole subnet?