Print job content recording

Developer
Jun 25, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Hi Duncan,

I am in the process of developing a prototype which requires recording of textual content of each print job.

I have also sent a request to join ur team as a developer, plz guide me on how to to record the textual content of each print job. If I am able to implement the same, I can upload the code to codeplex which can be useful for anyone else looking to implement the same.

Looking forward for ur reply.

Thanks,

Raghav

Coordinator
Jun 26, 2012 at 12:40 PM

It would be a significantly difficult task to get the text out of every print job.  The spool file could be in either an EMF or a RAW (Printer control language) which means that you will neeed different parsers for each possible printer control language.

Printer control languages could be e.g. PostScript, PCL-5, PCL-6, HP-GL

In addition sometimes in EMF files only some of those glyphs from a font used in the printing are actually encoded into the file which means you would not be able to get back from the glyph index to what actual character it was that was printed.

Developer
Jun 26, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Hi Merrion,

Thanks for the quick reply. As you rightly mentioned, there would be some exceptions where we will not be able to extract the complete text. But for the rest of the formats it is possible. Do you have any existing code which we could use to implement the same? Or can u guide me to some links using which I will be able to develop the same?

Thanks,

Raghav

Coordinator
Jul 12, 2012 at 12:19 PM

There is an EMF spoolfile viewer application that I wrote on CodeProject that is a good starting point...