Direct IP Printer

Jul 15, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Is there anyway to monitor a network printer for all print jobs (other computers/users) for a direct IP Printer?  I tried using the name of the printer as it is on my local workstation, but it only shows print jobs that I print to it.  Since there is no share/unc, I'm not sure you can do it.  Has anyone got this to work?

Coordinator
Jul 15, 2010 at 9:03 PM
A good question and something I have not tried. Maybe you can monitor the printer from the client machine rather than the one that has the printer connected?

On 15 Jul 2010, at 20:04, "thumb22" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Is there anyway to monitor a network printer for all print jobs (other computers/users) for a direct IP Printer? I tried using the name of the printer as it is on my local workstation, but it only shows print jobs that I print to it. Since there is no share/unc, I'm not sure you can do it. Has anyone got this to work?

Jul 16, 2010 at 12:55 PM
Edited Jul 16, 2010 at 2:46 PM
I've actually tried to monitor the printer from my workstation, and have a different workstation print something to it. It will recognize when I print, but not the different workstation. Since the printer is connected to nothing except a router/switch, I'm not sure what to try. Should I try using a snmp api and watch network traffic? I'm hoping there is an easier way than that. The printer does have a 'Host Name', but when I try to 'AddPrinter' using the Host Name it cannot find the printer. Any insite you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Jul 17, 2010 at 6:56 PM
I just placed all my IP printers on a server and shared them from there. Then i have a service running on that server to monitor and stop printing from certain users. I havent found out how to circumvent the print job from a different user.